Jan's Reviews > The Pale Assassin

The Pale Assassin by Patricia Elliott

F_50x66
Jul 02, 12

Read in April, 2012

Eugenie de Boncoeur, at age 14, was rich and demanding, and was accustomed to getting whatever she wanted. Even though she was an orphan, her guardian was attentive to her needs. But in the changing political climate just before the French Revolution, he made one decision without informing her: he signed a marriage contract for Eugenie. When she turns 16, she will be wed to the richest man in Paris. Unfortunately, there is also something unsavory and frightening about Le Fantome, as he is called, and Eugenie's brother fears for her future.

An exciting historical novel for teens, set during the French Revolution. The story struggles to get started because of the burden of explaining the historical facts of the time. At times I felt the author was cramming in too much information; the story would have been fine without so much French history. At other times, I was grateful that I had a basic knowledge of the French Revolution, because otherwise some things would have been totally confusing.

Although occasionally bogged down by politics, the story has a lively and interesting plot. Good for older teens who like a heavy dose of history with their fiction. Grades 8-10.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pale Assassin.