Amy Lignor's Reviews > The Master of Misrule

The Master of Misrule by Laura Powell

Jul 11, 2012

Read from July 02 to 05, 2012

When I came across the first book of this series, The Game of Triumphs, it didn’t take me very long to fall in love and have one of the most amazing adventures of my ‘reading’ life. Cat is the main character and she is everything from witty to charming. When we first met up with her and her friends, Cat was attending an exclusive party in the Soho District of London where she was drawn into an age-old and slightly frightening game of “Fortunes and Cards” (Tarot Cards). This mysterious game was run by four ‘game masters’ that passed out challenges that took place in the Arcanum, a dream version of our own world. If the player was successful they earned fortunes, and if they failed, death was an absolute possibility.

When Cat entered the game, readers were given a look into her family’s past, as sights and sounds were revealed that showed exactly what drove people to play the game. The game playing is beyond risky and a whole lot of fun, but the prizes were worth dying for.

Now, in this second adventure, Cat and her friends start out in a very peaceful life – believing that the game was completely over and they could go, with their prizes in hand. But the ‘Game’ is back and begins all over again (even more scary than the first book.) What Cat and her friends did not count on was the fact that the Master of Misrule was no dummy, and when he earns his freedom by duping the gang, he shows exactly the type of menacing figure that he really is. All of a sudden, Cat and her friends meet up with disaster. Refusing to leave all they have won behind, the Arcanum beckons and the group of teens have to play the ‘end game,’ which may just take them out for good, as well as the entire city of London.

ANY and ALL readers who love Harry Potter vs. Voldemort – the ultimate in good and evil – will hang on every page. As a sequel, or a follow-up, this is absolutely aces. This offers thrills and chills that are sometimes not for the faint of heart, but always a heck of a lot of fun to watch. What’s the downside? I want a Book III, and NOW!

Until Next Time, Everybody,
Amy

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Master of Misrule.