J.G. Keely's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling

Jul 26, 2007

liked it
bookshelves: fantasy, contemporary-fiction, novel, reviewed, contemporary-fantasy, uk-and-ireland
Read in January, 2003

I am beginning to regret reviewing these all in a row, as I feel I need repeat myself. Then again, the theme and structure of the books is repetitious, so perhaps there is little else I can add.

By this point, Rowling has caught her stride, and begun that inescapable page-climb for which she became--especially in the young-adult genre--especially infamous. This book is, more than anything, an expansion of the world and of events. She puts off Quidditch at the school--perhaps out of a fear that Harry's Gryffindors playing every year would grow dull. Instead, we have the Tri-Wizard Tournament and the World Quidditch Cup (to tide us over). Many critiques of Rowling's world-building--previously grumblings--can begin in earnest here, as she expands the world of wizards from a small cadre into a full-blown, worldwide community of secret-keeping.

Not only are there the questions of Why all the secrecy, but now How, as well. The plot leaps around as is its wont, aided by a magical urging here or a convenient villain there, and the promised 'dead character' is, of course, one almost entirely given importance solely in this text. This certainly isn't the most underwhelming that her promise of future deaths will become, but it is a foreshadowing.

The characters and conflicts are exciting as ever, and as she finally developed the pacing in the last book to prevent us losing ourself in a plot which twists and turns not so much like a maze, but like a meandering goat trail, we can at least now feel the wind in our hair as we gallop along it.

I really wish that the various psychological and foreshadowed elements would resolve themselves, but one often as not finds that the climax comes with a sense of "oh, are we here already?" rather than "I've been waiting for this".

Rowling seems to do better when things are darker and more hopeless (or perhaps those are the only moments when she cannot draw into the waistcoats of her child's lit contemporaries for inspiration), and this book continues the trend that began with a darker change in tone in 'Prisoner of Azkaban' and culminating in the next offering.

My Fantasy Book Suggestions

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.

02/08/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Rehan (new)

Rehan Mollah This wasn't my favorite book nor movie. It had its faults which you seem to thoroughly describe. But with bad judgement comes good judgement. Instead of praising and slating the book you just slated it. Where is the love man? There is something that stood out more than any other HP it was the sense of competition, the tournament was the highlight of the book and gave me a new outlook on what was to come from the future HPs.