Alissa's Reviews > The Happiness Project: Or Why I Spent a Year Trying to Sing in the Morning, Clean My Closets, Fight Right, Read Aristotle, and Generally Have More Fun

The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin

F_50x66
Jul 02, 12

Read in June, 2012

I find it humerus that the complaint most have about the book is that they can't relate or why someone with seemingly everything would need to be happier. This is because in the beginning she admits that she is happy but she thinks it's possible to be happier. She also says not everyone is like her and need to work on their own project. This isn't a book to learn how to become happier this is a narrative on how she accomplished it in her own life. She says you need to do your own with your own lists of what needs changed in your life but by reading others like herself it brings you insight into what you can add. This book was written about her journey so of course it would be about herself that is the point. I really enjoyed this book because it gave me some ideas I hadn't thought of and the knowledge that I didn't need to be depressed to make my life a little better. It's not about finding happiness it's about making it a little better than it already is.
The negative comments seemed to be more on the not liking the author than the book itself so yes I believe with their negative attitude they gained nothing from the book. It's a learning and amusement tool not a teaching tool. IF you are in a deep dark hole there are probably other areas to be reaching out for to make you happy rather than this book. You need to make yourself happy and do your own project rather than expecting a book to give you all the answers and do it for you. This is entertainment and some insight at it's best not self help. I really enjoyed it and think most people will. I gave it four stars rather than five because I could have done with a little less repetition of her books that she has already sold at times it seemed like she was selling them through this novel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Happiness Project.