Auntee's Reviews > Crossing The Line

Crossing The Line by Cat Johnson

Nov 14, 08

bookshelves: contemporary-romance, men-in-uniform
Recommended for: Fans of military romance
Read in November, 2008

This was a very quick, sweet and sometimes erotic, easy read about Tech Sergeant Carrie Armstrong of the US Air Force and Marine Staff Sergeant Beau Adams.

Both are career military, and stationed in Djibouti, Africa, with troops from the Army, Navy, Air Force, and Marines at Joint Forces Camp Lemonier. When Beau first sees Carrie, his heart skips a beat. He thinks she's hot, but being a Southern gentleman, he keeps his intense feelings of attraction to himself. There's a strict rule of no fraternization at the camp, and no sex while deployed. Getting caught could ruin the career of anyone involved, and while Beau is definitely attracted to Carrie, he's not willing to risk his 14 year career for a quick roll in the hay. So, he treats Carrie with the utmost respect, since he will often be working closely with her.

Carrie has an unfair reputation as an "Ice Queen" with the male soldiers, and some of the female soldiers resent her and are unfriendly to her because she attracts a lot of male attention. But as Beau comes to know and like her, he sees how unfair that is and realizes that she's basically lonely, and invites her to run with him every evening. Carrie is very grateful, and enjoys Beau's company and is glad to have a friend on base. As the friendship deepens, Carrie starts having real romantic feelings for Beau, and Beau does too. But Beau is reluctant to start anything, because not only would it be risky for their careers, but he feels that Carrie deserves more than just a sexual affair. But the more he's around Carrie, the more he desires her. Will Carrie and Beau risk their futures by crossing the line?

This was a quick, easy read, only taking a couple of hours to finish. It was interesting to read about a female character in the military, and all that she experiences. Carrie and Beau were both likeable characters, and they generated some real heat. I would have liked to have read a few more love scenes, because I thought they were well done and passionate. But since the book was quite short, it was probably not possible. There were a couple of moments near the end that had me tearing up, and I was hoping that things would all work out for the H/H. As with all Cat Johnson's books, I always enjoy the stories and the characters, but feel I could read another 50 to 100 pages! Maybe one day she'll produce a big, fat 400 page novel--that would make me really happy!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crossing The Line.

11/13/2008 page 1
11/14/2008 page 75
42.13% "I'm already hooked..."
11/14/2008 page 200
100% "Nice little read..."

Comments (showing 1-4)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 4: by Daisiemae (new) - added it

Daisiemae Ohhh Auntee, you lucky girl! I love Cat's books. Especially her military romances. Can't wait until the review:)

Auntee This is reading really fast--I'll put it aside for you when I'm done!

message 2: by Daisiemae (new) - added it

Daisiemae LOVE LOVE LOVE this author! I am so glad you liked this one. I am definately looking forward to reading it! Great review my friend:)

Kathrynn I've never read anything by this author, but this sounds pretty good.