Andrea's Reviews > The Knife's Edge

The Knife's Edge by Stephanie Draven

Jul 10, 12

** I would give this 2.5* if I could.**

THE KNIFE'S EDGE seemed like it would be a nice, quick selection for the feature. If I remember correctly, the story was touted as an erotic romance. But what it really read like was a prequel teaser, or maybe a prologue for a much more in-depth novel. The reader is literally dropped into the middle of a fairly complicated political scenario. The narrator, Dardanus, is an advisor to the lonely Queen Nestra. Since he is a "bastard", Dardanus can never assume what he believes is his rightful position as king. His plan is to seduce the Queen, convince her to remove her magical medallion (whose magic is never explained), then kill her.

The chemistry between the two characters is nice, though short-lived. When the two finally make it to the bed, it's nothing to write home about. One page. Yep, one page of implied copulation. In fact, the most fun I've had with this is coming up with the phrase "implied copulation." Whee. (said with a sad face) OH, and Dardanus slaps Nestra. And not in a playful, naughty way, but in a "Say yes, bitch" way. Look, I'm all for fun and games or whatever, but that kind of pissed me off. NO HITTING.

I'm not saying that THE KNIFE'S EDGE was bad. The writing was actually really good. But I felt it was advertised as something it's clearly not. And, AND...almost half of the downloaded book was excerpts from other books by the author. But, the story was free, so, at least I didn't waste any money. But still, I feel waaaay let down.

Favorite Quote:

" 'I'm not ashamed of you. I'm ashamed of myself. Not because I need to touch and be touched, but because I need to be matched, to be ruled even, if only for a night. I need to let you do anything you want with me. I need to trust you.' " (ebook, 39%)
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Knife's Edge.