Opal's Reviews > The Lost Girl

The Lost Girl by Sangu Mandanna

Sep 20, 12

bookshelves: fantasy-sci-fi, young-adult
Read from September 02 to 03, 2012

Read my reviews here and on The Akamai Reader.

4.5 star rating

Eva is an echo. She was created to take the place of Amarra if she were to ever die. Eva’s life is spent studying Amarra’s life and following the Loom’s strict laws. She knows at any moment her familiars or the family that she belongs to could execute a Sleep Order on her which would end her life.

From the very beginning this book draws you in. The plot itself is wholly engaging and as I learned about Eva’s life my sympathy for her grew. She was so trapped by the laws confining an echo. What stolen pleasures she had were precious and few. I admired her need to define herself individually. She had desires apart from her life as an echo. In this way she rebelled against the laws that governed her life. Eva also showed a lot of strength in adversity.

I liked Sean a lot but I kind of wondered why one of her guardians became so intimate with her. I thought that the people in charge would have had better sense then that. It made for a good story though. So while Sean was really conscious of obeying some of the laws, yet he was willing to bend other rules. He picked his battles. Although I thought that he should have been His respect of her need to have an identity that wasn’t an echo of Amarra was what made me like him the most.

I loved this book. It was fast paced and I became really invested in the characters. In the end I was only disappointed with the fact that the follow up book hasn’t been released yet.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lost Girl.

09/03/2012