Blythe Jewell's Reviews > Overseas

Overseas by Beatriz Williams

Aug 01, 12

Read in June, 2012

Unabashedly romantic, with a compelling storyline that had me going back to re-read sections again and stayed with me for days after reading, this book was seriously affecting.

BUT.

The relationship between the two main characters was entirely too long and drawn out, with lots of redundancy that left me feeling, well, just tired.

And for as much as the author poured into that relationship, she put absolutely nothing into the logistics or details of the time travel itself. The whole story centers around these trips back and forth through time... but when the reason is finally explained, it's vague and disappointing.

Also, NONE of the supporting characters were well-developed (one guy just says "dude" and curses all the time, and that seems to be the extent of his depth) -- this probably should have bothered me more than it did, but honestly, I found myself so swept up in the romance of the story that I barely noticed at the time. It was only later that I realized this was essentially a two-character piece.

So one star shaved off for those shortcomings -- but a rousing four and big kudos to the author for managing to make me forget it all and stay up all night reading!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Overseas.