Sara Strand's Reviews > How to Eat a Cupcake

How to Eat a Cupcake by Meg Donohue

10582065
Jul 02, 12

You know I love me a good chick lit book, but I've grown frustrated with most of what I have read recently. Every story sounds like another book I have read. I feel like this is like a few books but we changed up the setting and put some cupcakes in it.
Part of what made this just a mediocre book for me is that it never hooked me, drew me in to keep reading. I could predict everything that happened, the fights/arguments between Annie and Julia, and the ending. And it's so frustrating because I felt like the author wanted to have this fun book that would be a fun book club read or something to share among friends and this just doesn't get there. The characters are predictable and... stereotypical? Annie is the low income Hispanic person who holds a grudge against the world and then there's Julia, privileged, wealthy white girl. You know what happens, you know why they had their big rift and you know how it ends.
Overall, if you really love chick lit and that's really the only genre that gets you reading- pick this one up, you won't be disappointed. On the other hand, if you read to get a new story, or to experience something, wait for my next review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Eat a Cupcake.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Laura Docter Even expecting chick lit this book was a big disappointment. I don't think readers will be satisfied with this one.

Sara Strand Laura wrote: "Even expecting chick lit this book was a big disappointment. I don't think readers will be satisfied with this one."

I have friends who only read chick lit and really loved this one. I don't get it because it's just such a repeat story. It's like it follows some weird outline of what is a standard chick lit book. Lamesauce.

Have you read anything by Susanna Daniel? I really enjoy her books a lot and just finished Sea Creatures. GREAT book. :)

Laura Docter I read this for my book club. I know there will be people that just LOVE it too. People differ. There isn't much chick lit that requires brain cells. That annoys me.

Sara Strand Laura wrote: "I read this for my book club. I know there will be people that just LOVE it too. People differ. There isn't much chick lit that requires brain cells. That annoys me."

ME TOO!!!! I dropped out of a book club because they kept making us read Jodi Picoult and I just can't do it anymore. HA! I do a lot of book reviews on my blog (http://strandupdate.blogspot.com) so you might find some good ones on there. I try to always post it on here too, but sometimes I get busy and forget. Another one I just read that I thought was going to be mediocre but I turned out really liking was "The Unfinished Child".

Laura Docter Two very similar words: Nicholas Sparks.

Sara Strand Laura wrote: "Two very similar words: Nicholas Sparks."

OH GOD DON'T GET ME STARTED.