Sara Strand's Reviews > Brand New Human Being

Brand New Human Being by Emily Jeanne Miller

10582065
Jul 02, 2012

liked it

Almost immediately this book reminded me of Fathermucker. I keep reading books written in a dad's point of view hoping I would get some insight into what goes through Matt's head, but still I feel like I'm not quite getting it. Nonetheless, this book is good. It has a subtle humor to it and if you're a parent you'll get it. You will know the frustration Logan feels when his son goes through a baby phase, for example.
Anyone who is married is going to relate to Logan and Julie. Though the ended up married in a maybe not so conventional way, they both adore their son but it isn't always enough. After the loss of his dad, Logan is kind of in a funk and sees Julie working more and drifting further away. I know from personal experience that marriage with kids isn't always awesome even less so when you start throwing other stress into it, it's easy to drift away and shut down.
Probably what I loved most about this book is that you find yourself rooting for Logan the whole way. As a mom I completely cringed when he did or said certain things to his son but I felt for the guy. He's stressed out, he's questioning his role in the family, and he wants so badly for things to get better but he's lost. I really liked this book because it just hits home. Oftentimes I find myself lost in my own life and marriage and I want it to be better but I'm not always sure what path to take to get there.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Brand New Human Being.