Ilona Andrews's Reviews > The Border Lord's Bride

The Border Lord's Bride by Bertrice Small

Jul 02, 2012

bookshelves: historical-romance
Read in July, 2012

Gordon is a very funny man. I’ve expressed once that I really disliked reading overblown Scottish brogue -all the nae hae bairn lairds make my brain hurt – and he made it a point to buy me anything with a Tartan on it. I mean, he’d go to the grocery store for some milk and come back with Rabid Highlander’s Witchy Bride or something like that and then laugh at my face, because once he buys me a gift, I will read it, even though some authors make poor Scotsmen sound like a pack of drunk D&D dwarves. This was the latest one and I finally got around to reading it.

It is about 70% historical novel and 30% romance. It’s well researched and the few details I recognized were correct. It’s very brutal at times. The heroine, a highland girl, witnesses murders of her family, is almost raped several times, kidnapped, and imprisoned, and as you read the novel, there is a real sense of danger. All bets are off and you don’t know if she is going to come through it unscathed or not.

The sexuality in the book is raunchy. There are no gentle euphemisms. It’s all “I’m going to f’*** you, wife.” There is also a wooden dildo at one point. I’ve since read some reviews of the other books by the author and saw that the dildo makes a few more appearances in other titles.

I’m not sure what to think about this book. On one hand, I read the whole thing. It grabbed me and pulled me in. On other hand, I’m not sure I’m willing to read another one, because the brutality of it kind of got to me.
12 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Border Lord's Bride.

message 1: by Galla (new)

Galla "...even though some authors make poor Scotsmen sound like a pack of drunk D&D dwarves."

Bwahaha!

message 2: by Gordon (new)

Gordon Why a wooden dildo, cousin? Is it because it will hurt more?