Tiffany's Reviews > Redemption

Redemption by Veronique Launier

Aug 08, 12

bookshelves: 2012-challenge, review-copy-already-read, meh-it-was-ok
Read from July 25 to 28, 2012

I received a free e-ARC of this book to review from Flux Books via NetGalley.com

I was really excited to read this book. I read the blurb and I thought it was amazing. Unfortunately, it fell a little flat for me. Not that it wasn't good, it just didn't meet my expectations.

It is told from alternating points of view of the two main characters, Aude and Guillaume. This doesn't always work for books but in this case it fits well. I liked being about to see both sides of the story.

I'll start by listing the things I liked about Redemption and then I'll tell you the big reason I didn't love it.

The Good:

-GARGOYLES! Seriously Awesome. How many YA books are about Vampires and Werewolves? Most of them. I loved that it stars a very different paranormal creature with a unique history.

-The Location. I loved that it was a Canadian setting. I've never been to Montreal so it was fun reading about it.

-The Names. Veronique gives her characters unique and interesting names even if I couldn't pronounce some of them.

-Interesting Concept. I have never read a book about Essentialists and using witches to replenish the essence of Gargoyles and give them "life". It was really interesting to read.

-The mystery. Veronique is good at creating suspense. While the book starts off kind of slow, the last 30% of the novel was edge-of-your-seat action.

The biggest reason this book felt off for me and the only major critique I have is the author's style of writing. She uses a lot of short choppy sentences that, for me, affected the flow of the book which in turn makes it hard to get immersed in the story.

Overall, it's an interesting story that I recommend trying if the synopsis sounds like something you'd enjoy.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Redemption.