Michelle Leah Olson's Reviews > Mark of the Witch

Aug 01, 2012

bookshelves: literal-addiction-books, reviewed
Read in July, 2012

Our Review [by LITERAL ADDICTION’s Pack Alpha – Michelle L Olson]:

I have been a fan of Maggie Shayne and her writing for quite some time. Her Wings in the Night series was my support system during a very rough patch of my life and after that I pretty much started to devour everything I could find.

When I heard about Maggies new PORTAL series I was ecstatic! A Wiccan High Priestess writing a Paranormal Romance about witches...truly, what could be better, right!? When Maggie sent me an Advance Reader Copy of Mark of the Witch (book #1) to read and review I literally did a happy dance. :) I wasn't sure exactly when I was going to be able to get to it, but I was excited none-the-less.

Ironically (or maybe not so ironically!??), my life took a tumble and I ended up in another rough situation health-wise. Knowing that I had Mark of the Witch sitting on my dresser, it was the very first thing I asked for after being hospitalized. I settled in, and like usual with Maggie's books, was transported away to a world I never wanted to leave.

Indira is a lapsed Wiccan who has lost her faith and a bit of her way. She's had a rough childhood, has suffered loss, has some trust issues, and has basically given up on love. In spite of all of that, she is one tough heroine! She's iron willed, strong minded, and even a bit feisty, all with a layer of vulnerability that makes you love her even more. When things start to happen that she can no longer ignore, she's forced to open her mind, try to put aside her doubts, and join up with some unusual allies in their mutual quest for truth.

Father Tomas isn't your everyday hero. He's multi-dimensional and incredibly fascinating - not to mention sexy as sin. A Gnostic priest from a secret sect, he too struggles with aspects of his faith and his decision to put his life and his fate in the hands of one man who claims to know what he is meant for. Smart and strategic, he attacks everything in life with a plan, but also with a passion that borders on abandon. You can't help but get swept away...

Indy and Tomas together are electric. A forbidden passion that burns bright despite the roadblocks of their quest and the chastisement of their conscience. Add in the revelation of some long buried secrets, and theirs is a relationship for the ages (literally).

Mark of the Witch gives the reader intense intrigue, exciting plot twists, loveable sidekicks, antagonists that make your lip curl, beautifully crafted landscapes, action, drama, sizzling romance, and so much more. It was literally spell-binding (pardon the pun)! I absolutely cannot wait for Daughter of the Spellcaster, book #2, in October!

LITERAL ADDICTION gives Mark of the Witch a well deserved 5 Skulls and would recommend it to everyone! Paranormal Romance enthusiasts as well as Urban Fantasy lovers will adore this new series.
8 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mark of the Witch.

Michelle McKinney I can't wait to get to this book!!!