oriana's Reviews > The Woman Who Died A Lot

The Woman Who Died A Lot by Jasper Fforde

Feb 15, 13

bookshelves: read-2013
Read from February 02 to 06, 2013

ZOMG a new Thursday Next book!! And I was lucky enough to score a proof at a teeny secondhand bookshop upstate!!!

I will tell you this right now: I just got back from a 10-day vacation. I have gallons of emails to answer, scads of laundry to do, and an entire apartment to clean before I go back to work tomorrow, yet I am still going to spend at least a half hour finishing this book with a cup of coffee before I do any of it.

***

And I did! And it was soooo worth it, even though, exactly a week later, I am still limping my way through the last of those goddamn emails. I did return to work wearing clean undies, though; what do you think I am, an animal?

As far as this book itself, well, if you're already on the Fforde bandwagon, I needn't tell you anything more than that yes, he's on his game, this book is delightfully fun and just what you expect from a Thursday Next book. It's full of intrigue and action and silliness, clever literary references and groanful puns, playful satire and goofy paradoxes.

(To elaborate just a hair on that last one, one of the central plot strands is that time-travel has just been suspended. See, no one had ever figured out exactly how to travel through time; they'd just gone ahead and done it, assuming that eventually it would be invented. But then someone traveled forward all the way to the apocalypse and found out that no one actually had ever gotten around to figuring it out, and thus it all the time-travel engines had to be immediately decommissioned.)

If that was utterly bewildering (and yet tantalizing), then you are obviously not yet on Team Jasper, and you don't know what you're missing. I beseech you to immediately plan a beach vacation and procure at least volumes 1–3 of the Thursday Next series to read prone on a chaise lounge while working doggedly on your sunburn. I mean, the "smart-person beach read" genre was pretty much invented for Fforde, right?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Woman Who Died A Lot.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Moira Russell ....SERIOUSLY

message 2: by Hillary (new) - added it

Hillary This is the UK edition; it doesn't come out here until October. (cries)

oriana nooooooooo. but also: seriously? don't they know we can just buy the dang uk version online?

message 4: by Leah (new)

Leah *dances*

message 5: by Mahala (new)

Mahala I really wanted to get into this series...but ever since reading The Wide Sargasso Sea I've hated Edward Rochester almost as much as 'Bertha' did. Could I get away with starting from book #2?

Nick Woohoo! 5-stars! Can't wait to read this one.

message 7: by Jen (new)

Jen I haven't read anything by Fforde, I think it's time!

oriana Mahala: Haha, I think you could. The books do build on each other, but he does a good job of catching you up with each one.

Nick and Jen: Yay, do it!!!

message 9: by Leah (new)

Leah Mahala, even though the depiction of Rochester is fairly sympathetic in The Eyre Affair, I think it's balanced enough that you would be okay. I loved The Wide Sargasso Sea as well!