Lacey Louwagie's Reviews > Ironhand

Ironhand by Charlie Fletcher

Oct 24, 14

bookshelves: youngadult, youngadultfantasy, fantasy, middle-grade
Read from July 02 to 15, 2012

Even though I gave this the same "star" rating as the first book in the series (Stoneheart), I liked this one quite a bit more. In it, the alternate world of London that Fletcher has created solidifies in a way it didn't in the first one; interactions and characters feel less random, and motivations seem stronger. In addition, you start to see a "bigger picture" to the story that is intriguing. Characters become less "black and white", too, and begin to defy the categories they were given in the first book.

But I think what I liked most about this installment was that for most of the book, George and Edie were split up, which meant that Edie's story achieved a depth only hinted at in the first book when George was the "star of the show." There are places in this book where it takes rather dark turns, too, and it's always pleasantly surprising when something in a middle-grade book can give you a bit of a shiver.

But despite all that, I didn't elevate this book to the level of four stars because there were still places where I got bored and drifted off, or where certain details didn't seem super important to the story. And George as a character still doesn't interest me all that much, although I'm intrigued by what he may represent.

In actuality, this book deserves a solid 3.5 stars, whereas the first one was probably more in the range of 2.5. But the 3 star rating is made to bear a lot of weight when Goodreads doesn't let us do halvesies.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ironhand.

07/03/2012
30.0% "Better than the first one, I think."