Janet's Reviews > Widow's Might

Widow's Might by Sandra Brannan

Jul 13, 12

bookshelves: first-read-wins
Read from July 05 to 12, 2012

I won an Advance Reader's Copy of Widow's Might in a GoodReads give away.

I thought this book was a good "Beach Read". It really should be a 2.5 Star rating, but as that's not possible, I ranked it 2 stars rather than 3 for it's soap opera traits. This is the 3rd in the Liv Bergen series. I have not read the first two books so it took me about 30 pages into Widow's Might to "get up to speed" on the story line and various characters that were apparently carried over from the previous books.

Widow's Might is a quick read - ideal escapism for those who like a nice, predictable and fairly tepid thriller and an even more tepid romance. While it wasn't my cup of tea, I'm sure my sister would enjoy it more than I did. I found the main character Liv to be more annoying than likeable with her many, many, many, so, sooo many sophmoric girly/gooey musings, fantasies & daydreams to be credible as either a miner/quarry professional or as a potential FBI trainee. Thankfully, the other characters in Widow's Might were not nearly as "well-developed" as Liv and therefore not as annoying.

The soap opera parts of the book are basically found in the dialogue between characters. As the reader is only privy to the thoughts of Liv and the killer, dialogue between characters is necessary to keep the story moving along, but I found it to be generally too stilted and/or abbreviated to explain the supposed intimacy between the characters.

South Dakota history was woven into the story and raised the "interest" factor for me considerably. Without that history, the plot would have been non-existent. But the "preservation v. development" debate, while logical within the story, was a) a spoiler and b) felt like an OBVIOUS plot-device in the superficial treatment it was given by the author.

Overall, I found Widow's Might to be good bed-time reading as it wasn't suspenseful enough to keep me turning the pages into the wee hours of the morning, yet interesting enough to pick up again the next night for another 50 pages or 30 minutes....until I finished.
1 like • Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Widow's Might.