Amanda P's Reviews > Blade Song

Blade Song by J.C. Daniels

Jul 24, 12

bookshelves: review-copy-provided, paranormal-urban-fantasy, own-as-an-ebook
Read from July 20 to 21, 2012

This is a fantastic new story from Shiloh Walker using a new pen name. This story is taking place in the United States where paranormals (Shifters, Vampires, Witches, etc..) live openly amongst humans. Their truce is tentative and prejudices against paranormals run strong. Usually if they keep to their own area there is no issue, but the humans certainly don’t care if the paranormals die or if their young disappear. This makes for an interesting, dangerous world that Ms. Daniels built. It is rich and distinctive and really comes to life.

Kit is a half breed Aneira with a bad attitude. She has a very tumultuous past, which sneaks up on her quite a bit while she is hunting for the young boy, something about this case triggers memories she’s wishes she had forgotten. As a half breed she doesn’t really fit in anywhere, but can walk in both worlds. This is also one of the reasons she is so good at her job. Regrettably, being good at your job doesn’t necessarily mean that you have a lot of jobs. It is this desperation for work along with a soft spot for kids that pull her into one of the most dangerous jobs of her career. No matter what Kit keeps on investigating, she is relentless in her pursuit of Doyle, even when attacked numerous times. I love that she is so tenacious and cares so much about finding a kid that she has never met before, so much so that she risks her life on a regular basis with this case. I also love how strong willed she is, she is a half breed so not as strong as some of the other characters we come across, but what she lacks in actual physical strength she makes up for it with mental strength. She does have some interesting powers as an Aneira, which make her unique in this world and give her a slight advantage at times.

In this book we get the super sexy Damon, with smoldering eyes and a bad attitude, almost as bad as Kit’s. He is a powerful cat shifter who refuses to let Kit work alone, and becomes the bane of her existence at least at first. Then we have Jude who is a powerful vampire who is fixated on Kit, he wants to make her his, but Kit has no interest in becoming a vamp’s pet. Jude brings out Damons’ possessive side and adds an interesting mix to this cocktail. What I wasn’t so thrilled with is Kit is so against the male for most of the book, but once her sudden attraction is acknowledged it’s like 0-50 in 0.3 seconds. I think I got whiplash. Besides Kit’s love interest’s we met a lot of other interesting characters. I loved the witches and some of Kits other friends and hope to see them again, assuming this is going to be a series.

Overall, I was really happy with this book. It brought a refreshing element to the urban fantasy genre. I was impressed with the world building and the depth of the characters. Kit was vulnerable yet strong, we had two possible male love interests and plenty of action to keep the story moving. I sincerely hope this is going to be a series, I don’t see anything on Goodreads yet; because I have every intention of continuing on with Kit. It’s been about a week since I read the book and it has remained in the back of my mind since. That is always a good sign of a fantastic read!

Rating: 4.5
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blade Song.

Quotes Amanda Liked

J.C. Daniels
“It was a seductive thing, full of promise. Full of warmth and wonder and lies.”

J.C. Daniels
“I'm part of the package, kitten. Your bodyguard, babysitter and tattle-tale, all rolled into one." Flashing his teeth at me, he added, "Aren't you pleased?”

J.C. Daniels
“Keeping my voice level, I shook my head. Mustn't enrage the antisocial monster standing five feet away.”

J.C. Daniels
“I wasn't human enough to die easily.”

J.C. Daniels
“Child, you suffer from an excess of great stupidity or great bravery. I'm not sure which.”

07/21/2012