Emily Mellow's Reviews > The Love Israel Family: Urban Commune, Rural Commune

Jul 15, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: autobiography, politics-history
Read from July 01 to 15, 2012

This book is so disappointing! It's just poorly written, like it's an academic paper rather than a story, or a biography of a family. I find myself skipping around to get to the good stuff, the stuff I care about, which is definitely the mark of uninteresting writing. I know half the people involved in this story, but they so often get referred to generically ("one member recalls..." or "a young mother said...") I want to know who said and did what!
Sadly, many former members weren't contacted for their experiences at all. It's not a balanced perspective. The book is in large part based on recollections from very few people.
Also, the pictures are few and far between, and poorly labeled. The Source, an account of a similar commune which I just read, was bursting with beautiful pictures, and filled with the voices of it's former members, the story in their own words. Sure, it was still missing a lot, but it was a truly interesting and enjoyable read. This one, which I read hoping to find out more of my own history, was sorely lacking. I neither enjoyed it, nor found out much information that was enlightening.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Love Israel Family.