Nelly's Reviews > Lily's Crossing

Lily's Crossing by Patricia Reilly Giff

Jul 01, 12

Read on July 01, 2012

This was a very sweet, very quick read set in a 1940s New England beach town. It's a coming of age story, a story of friendship and of learning harsh lessons the hard way.

I liked this book because I felt it was a good and honest portrayal of a spirited girl growing up during WWII, being influenced by what she sees and hears, losing those she loves and learning to deal with the fact that sometimes people don't come back from war. ...and making up stories as she goes. I liked Lily, I felt she was a realistic character and I liked who she became as the book progressed.

The criticisms I have of this book have to do with the simplicity of the story. And yes, I fully understand this is children's fiction, but even children's fiction sometimes portrays the more grim events of life in more heartfelt and honest terms, without sugarcoating as much as this book did. For example, Bridge to Terabithia is one of the saddest books I've read to date and that was an elementary school read. The ending to Lily's Crossing, although appropriate, was a bit too convenient and one of the conflicts brought up in the middle of the book never got resolved, probably due to the fact that the resolution was less than pleasant. While there's nothing "wrong" with this particular story line, I felt the author could have done a better job of presenting life's realities in a child appropriate way. Had she done that, I would have probably given this book a much higher rating. But overall, this was a pleasant read and I'd recommend it to others interested in this genre of fiction.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lily's Crossing.