Shani's Reviews > Seating Arrangements

Seating Arrangements by Maggie Shipstead

Jul 01, 2012

it was ok
Read from July 01 to 05, 2012

I would give this book 2.5 stars. I really wanted to like this book more! I liked the way that the book started, just a few days before a wedding. The author brought in too many stories of the characters past that it made for a less smoothe read. The transitions back and forth were really rocky. I didn't expect that the main character would be the father of the bride. His preoccupation with getting into a golf club was more central to the story than the wedding which was also a turnoff for me. I added the half star for the parts of the author's prose that were well developed. I would try this author again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Seating Arrangements.

Courtney Wolstoncroft Shani, I'll be so interested to hear how you like this one! I've read a few great reviews of it and was thinking it might be next in my line-up...I'll stay tuned for your thoughts! :)

Shani Courtney, I didn't love this book. I had high expectations as it has been included on so many summer reading lists. The writing at times was really good, contemporary. The transitions between present and past, meant to help with the character development was awkward, especially as the book aimed to be in real time a few days before a wedding. I can recommend other books I enjoyed more! If you decide to read it anyway, I'd love to discuss it when you're done!