Amanda The Book Slayer's Reviews > Defiance

bookshelves: kick-butt-heroine, ya
Read from July 01 to 02, 2012

Check out Amanda the Book Slayer

Rating : 1.5 Stars

Recommendation : I really don’t think I can.

The first thing that comes to mind when I think of this book is Cover Lust! Seriously is that not an awesome cover? I mean it oozes Bad*ss and action packed right? I know that is exactly what I thought too. So for the Cover I am going to have to say it won all 5 Marks for getting noticed and wanting to read/buy. Way to go Marketing team!

I wish that I could say that what I found in the pages were up to my expectation of what the cover offered. Sadly, I was led away from the awesomeness by some huge let downs and mumble-jumble of mediocre writing.

I am warning you now that this might not be pretty but it will be honest. Here is my take on Defiance.

Defiant or Deluded? Let’s take a look…

I shall do this review Logan Style.

The Best Case Scenario

I thought that the overall storyline was interesting, at least at the beginning. We have Rachel who is the only daughter of the Commander’s best Tracker. We find out that Rachel’s father has been training her since she was a little girl.

This part got me excited. Yes, I am all about Heroine’s who kick some butt. But I am telling you so many, many things could have been done better. But I will wax poetic about that later.

We also have our Hero, Logan, who comes from a humble background and has risen through the ‘ranks’. I really wanted to like Logan, but his whole ‘run through scenario’s ever minute’ drove me batshit crazy. I don’t think there was a chapter in the book in his POV that we didn’t have to read about at least on possible scenario of outcomes. Sigh, it really was too much for me.

You, as the reader, get to watch Rachel shatter in a million pieces over and over and over again then try to pick them up and move on. Yes, this really doesn’t get any better, well except there are some good quotes that come out of this book. They are few and far between, but at least they seem worth remembering.

Quotes Worth Remembering

“It’s probably my job to tell you life isn’t fair, but I figure you already know that.” His voice is steady, but his eyes look sad. “So instead, I’ll tell you that hope is precious, and you’re right not to give it up.”

“Diplomacy is a lot easier to accomplish if you’ve got your foe on his knees hoping you don’t lop off his head.”

“No one always knows what to do, Rachel. We all just do the best we can with what we’ve got. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it ruins everything.”

“Had answers? I might.” He shrugs. “But they’re answers I had to find for myself. I don’t think they’ll work for anyone else.”

I think that is about all the good parts I have.

The Worst Case Scenario

This, my fellow readers, is where my review will get long and may turn rantish. I apologize but I can’t help it. As I said earlier, the cover and blurb held so much promise but fell short in so many ways for me.

The Whiplash Effect

I really hate when books switch POV’s every chapter. It gives me Reader’s Whiplash. This is not a joke and I am telling you every book like this that I have read has been dubbed with this effect. Major points get deducted. I am more than happy to stay in one person’s POV or have a few glimpses into another person scattered throughout, key word scattered/few/not many. Do I really need to keep going with this one? Damn the rant is starting.

The Scenario Complex

I found this book repetitive as well. The whole scenario complex was just too much. I thought it was neat at the beginning but the same thing every other chapter got old and brought on pain every time Logan’s POV came up. I kid you not it was like Freud’s Pavlov’s Dog theory.

See Logan’s name at the title of the Chapter – instant painful thoughts of his scenario complex. This is not the kind of thing you want to stick out in a book.

Characterization What?

Rachel annoyed me. Logan annoyed me. Melkin was an idiot. The Commander made me want to hurl several times. The only good character was her father but he is in so very little of the book that for that reason alone might be why I liked him the most.

I wasn’t sure if I really believed Rachel and Logan should even be together. Yes, we have a love triangle or at least I think we do. I like at least one person to shine through, but my emotions on this matter ebbed and flowed between Logan and Quinn(who I liked and didn’t like as well). This was not a good thing. Most of the time it just left me feeling awkward. Thus big problems in the depth of characters for me, if you couldn’t tell.

The Drop Zone

I felt like there were many ups & downs with this story and not in a good way. The plot would look like it was gaining speed and getting interesting then plateau or just drop off completely. I was left feeling disappointed and yet again annoyed during the majority of this book.

40% in I was having a hard time getting through. Every 10% got worse.

80% I was just done. It was a complete skim to the end. This is not how I should feel. The middle I can forgive some skimming but I do enjoy being captivated at the end and this one just… did not hold any interest for me.

Crash and Burn Baby

Overall I was left feeling annoyed and disappointed. I really wanted to love this book, but it just did not happen.

I do have to thank Edelweiss for providing me with a copy of this book for an honest review. This one just wasn’t my cup of tea.
17 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Defiance.

07/01/2012
5.0% "I really don't like switching POV's every chapter. I hope it slows down or I am going to get whiplash." 1 comment

Zuleeza Ou-kaayyy...I must read your review right after I finish with this. Scared of spoilers...hehe

Keertana Aww! I had such high hopes for this one! Plus, I didn't think it had a love triangle in it! :( Well, looks like I won't be rushing out to waste my money on this one after all. I'll put it on hold in the library instead. Thanks for your honest and insightful review Amanda!(:

Amanda The Book Slayer Your welcome. I would def. say if you want to read try the library. It was just really hard to get through for me.

message 4: by Liyana (new)

Liyana Agree with all of your points. It had such promise too.

Amanda The Book Slayer Thanks Liyana. I am really sad that it didn't have more. It really had a good setting to work from.

Zuleeza "It felt like through the whole book we are ‘suppose’ to be building up to this last battle and then BAM! We get a train wreak instead of Epic Awesomeness or even a decent battle would have done. But no, it just crashed into carelessness and a jumble of thoughts and events."

Well, I'm glad you feel the same way too. Haha!

Skyril Thank you. I mostly agree... To me it just seemed the characters were weak, changing personalities repeatedly, emotions going wild for no particular reason. You know, I didn't write it in my review, but the whole things about Rachel getting shattered over and over... You know, when I saw it coming with her dad, I was just like, "Oh boy... ~disappointment~ This is going to go badly ~wishes I could just skip the whole "What do I have left to lve for??" scenario just around the corner~ And I hate it too because it's been building up to meeting her dad the whole way. Then he's dead. It would have been better if the author had at LEAST let him live for a little while, and then die heroically.... It detracted from the novel that he was already dead. Ok, ok, I'm starting to rant at you about this. Sorry about that xD.