Jenne's Reviews > The Mystery of Grace

The Mystery of Grace by Charles de Lint

Apr 17, 09

bookshelves: fantasy, reviewed
Read in April, 2009

When John meets Grace he knows there is something unusual about her but he is falling in love with her two weeks too late.

Grace is an unusual woman. Not because of the tattoos, or because of her job as at Sanchez Motor work where she restores and customizes old cars. No, Grace is dead. She was in the wrong place at the wrong time - the corner shop when a kid decided to rob it.
But instead of passing on, Grace wakes up in her own apartment in a realm occupied by the dead of her neighbourhood. She soon learns the inhabitants can cross back into the world for a night on Hallowe’en and May Eve.

Both John and Grace have problems that need to be fixed. After meeting John, Grace is determined to solve the mystery of the realm she inhabits, and John needs to come to terms with his brother’s death years earlier. With the help of each other, friends, “rockabilly” music and old cars Grace and John learn the value of love, hope and the necessity of letting go.

I love that Charles de Lint's books always motivate me, I'm not sure why. I guess he creates such motivated characters that are always up to something interesting . I look around my house and see all the projects I have started and left by the wayside. As soon as I finish one of his books I always find a project and start it up again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mystery of Grace.

04/06/2009 "It is hard, but I'm taking this one slow. I love Charles de Lint and don't want the tale to end to quickly!"