Megan's Reviews > Wine to Water: A Bartender's Quest to Bring Clean Water to the World

Wine to Water by Doc Hendley

Jul 01, 12

Read in June, 2012

In 2005, bartender "Doc" became aware of the genocide going on in Darfur. He began sponsoring fundraisers called Wine to Water to bring awareness of the need for clean, safe water. After raising money, he wasn't sure where to send the money, but he connected with Samaritan's Purse. Rather than accept his money, they invited him to travel to Sudan for a year and learn how to help people get safe water.

Doc spent a year in Darfur, making connections and repairing wells. He was threatened at gunpoint, but he's a charmer so even though he didn't speak the language he was able to communicate. He hired local workers to teach him how to repair wells. My favorite part was that Doc reached out to both sides of the war. He refused to pick a side because he believes clean water is a basic human right, not a privilege.

Since his year in the Sudan, he's been nominated as a CNN Hero and continues to bring clean water, most recently to Haiti.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wine to Water.

Malin Friess I was surprised about how much I enjoyed this book.