Joy (joyous reads)'s Reviews > The Carny

The Carny by Brooke Moss

Jul 30, 12

bookshelves: for-review
Read from July 25 to 28, 2012

One kiss was all it took for Charlotte to know Vincent Youngblood will be someone that she'll not soon forget, and for the next ten years, she couldn't go to a carnival without ever searching for the familiar long, dark hair and tall stature of Vincent. When they meet again, Charlotte's romantic notions were replaced by disillusionment. Jilted at the altar by a man she thought she loved, Charlotte moved back home and took over the reigns at her father's hotel. Family life remained the same: controlled by the dictates of what's expected of her by her family and the society, keeping her mother from finally taking that leap off of a bridge and pretending to be happy when she's far from it. But she's not without hope. So when Vincent walked back into her life, she was more than ready to take a chance. Odds are definitely not in her favour this time, as her family's disapproval of Vin and Vin's family secrets threatened to break their budding romance.

Charlotte Davenport is one of those characters that I'm generally not a fan of. She's easily overwhelmed by her family and more often, she comes off weak. If not for her friend Kasey strong-arming her to finally stand up for herself and do the things she wants to do, Charlotte would probably remain as everyone's doormat. I also didn't like that she keeps adding one and one and coming up with five. I get that she couldn't trust any man in general because of her history, but man does she jump to conclusions like it's nobody's business! I do like her fresh innocence despite the life mileage she's clocked in her twenty-nine years. Above all else, she's very loyal to a family who only seemed to love her when she's serving her purpose.

Speaking of her family, they're like the ugly relatives whom you wish you didn't know. They're very judgmental, and sometimes, borderline derogatory. They seemed to be stuck in an era when stature was more important than anything else. It was hard to see how Charlotte could be related to these people.

As usual, Brooke Moss shows her masterful skills in bringing small town living to life through her descriptive writing. Coastal Oregon couldn't have been more picturesque than if the reader had been there herself.

VERDICT: It's unfortunate that I couldn't love this more than I should have; after all, Brooke Moss brought forth a new offering to the romance genre where the hero is of Native American descent. It is rare. I just had a terrible time with Charlotte's wishy-washy attitude and the tidy way in which this book ended. Don't get me wrong, I love me some HEA. But the entire ending just felt too contrived for me. Fans of contemporary romance that also deals with some racial and social issues will be enamoured with Brooke's new book. Despite my complaints, I think Brooke is a fantastic romance writer who finds inspiration anywhere and from anyone. She's definitely one of select authors on my radar whose work I'll always look forward to reading.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Carny.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Great review Joy. I have been thinking about reading this one. I think you changed my mind. :)