Valerie's Reviews > ALIBI: The Complete Series

Jul 06, 2012

bookshelves: 2012-reads
Read from July 01 to 02, 2012

4 stars - Brilliantly explaining why the truth lies somewhere in the middle

Yeah so I wasn't sure about this one because it seemed outside my normal genres but really I have to give kudos to the authors for peeking my curiosity with their request to review their book. They actually read my review police and provided everything I requested. So I gave their book a chance and I'm certainly glad I did.

The book is divided into four sections, about 100 pages each, one from each of the four characters surrounding the girl who is found dead at the beginning of the book. I was surprised how fast those pages flew by. Now I can read fast but when I'm really STUCK in a book, yeah well that's what happened here. I read the first two sections in a couple hours. I forced myself to put it down to go to sleep only to not be able to. My mind keep racing through the possibilities. The book got finished the next day.

I liked the characters. They were strong, full developed characters that I cared about. When I was reading Charles' section, I was certain he was 100% innocent. Then as I read Palmer's section I was thinking well maybe Charles didn't see how he contributed. And on and on it went. Each character going through different aspects of the weeks leading up to Abby's death. Some overlapping but always emphasizing different things. Amazingly, it was like real life. So many times we think we understand the truth but we are missing some detail or we are only focused on ourselves and we miss reality. It was like four different people staring out at the grand canyon. Each seeing just a little bit different scene. Each focused on the thoughts in their own head. Each somewhat aware that the others are involved. But each missing something that's important to one of the others. Really this book brilliantly explains why the truth always lies somewhere in the middle.

Mystery isn't my normal thing, but I really enjoyed this book. The mystery was expertly woven among a rich contemporary storyline that had the pages flying. It had some interesting romance going on with some subplots on social structures. While the story revisited some things, the details were always increased. I was never bored with that. I was pretty sure I knew who actually killed Abby as I approached the end and I was right but as the book suggests no one was innocent. At first, the ending seemed strange but as I sat thinking about it after I'd finished, I realized it was the perfect ending.

Not sure if this book will drive me to read more mystery but I will say this, it is a fabulous YA read and you should check it out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read ALIBI.