Evelyn's Reviews > Welcome to Bordertown

Welcome to Bordertown by Holly Black

Jul 01, 12

bookshelves: action-adventure, fantasy, poetry, 2012-summer, protagonist-club, 2012-best-books
Read on July 01, 2012

Holly Black's intro says it best:

"It was more than the idea of folklore mixed with contemporary life that compelled me. I was also drawn in by the idea that all these writers...wrote stories together and left clever references to each other in their work. And that created in me a longing for something I didn't even know I could have. I could someday be a writer and have writer friends and we could tell stories together.

From the first time I read the books, I knew that was what I wanted - to be a part of a community of artists." (2)

I'm not automatically drawn to big-city settings, but the Bordertown milieu drew me in. I'd prefer to be like the astronomer Psyche ("Our Stars, Our Selves" - Tim Pratt) who lives on the outskirts, though.

Favorite stories: "Welcome to Bordertown" (Ellen Kushner + Terri Windling); "A Voice Like a Hole" (Catherynne M. Valente) - this story was damn awesome, I need to read more of her work; "Stairs in Her Hair" (Amal El-Mohtar) - the song is gorgeous; "Fair Trade" (Sara Ryan, drawn by Dylan Meconis); "We Do Not Come in Peace" (Christopher Barzak); "A Tangle of Green Men" (Charles de Lint).

Unfortunately the original collections do not seem to be at my library. But my reading list is long enough...and I've added some of the above names to it. I'd like to do something like this with my friends.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Welcome to Bordertown.