Chas.'s Reviews > A Star Curiously Singing

U 50x66
Jul 01, 2012

bookshelves: spec-fic
Read in July, 2012

...everybody serves somebody. Machines serve debuggers, and debuggers serve their human masters. Which is fine until a group of scientists embark on a mission to a distant star, which sings a new song via what the book calls 'the stream.' A Christian would call this the Song of Salvation.

I found the book hard to keep up with, at first, but once if got the hang of the lingo, it started to make a lot of sense, and it reminded me of the world we live in today. The real battle today is the battle of philosophies. The 'Christian' point of view and the Muslim point of view. And like today, there are extremists in the Muslim point of view who eliminate those who are weak, and exert complete control over others.

So we have the world in this book, in which Sandfly, a debugger -- a human who was chosen to have a mechanical brain implanted in his head-- is caught up at the crux of the war of those who rule and those who are ruled.

Once I gained momentum into this story, I started to understand the real implications of what was going on. The suspense and the pace were breathtaking, and the author makes a powerful observation about a future in which totalitarianism literally rules the world.

Amazing story.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Star Curiously Singing.