Sharon's Reviews > The Unfinished Work of Elizabeth D.

The Unfinished Work of Elizabeth D. by Nichole Bernier

F 50x66
Jul 05, 2012

it was ok
Read from July 01 to 05, 2012

Two and a half stars. I found this book depressing. The story of two friends, Elizabeth and Kate, and their families. Elizabeth dies unexpectedly shortly before 9/11 and leaves a locked trunk of her journals to Kate in her will. Kate is supposed to read them and know what to do with them when she is finished. Kate spends her 7 week island vacation immersed in the journals and discovers how little she really knew about Elizabeth. In between the journal reading, Kate's story is one of uncertainty over whether to resume working full time, her anxiety about life in general after 9/11 and her friend's death as well as the direction of her marriage. The ending as to why and where Elizabeth was heading on the airplane was a twist but not really if I had paid more attention to the circumstances concerning the birth of Elizabeth's child. Because the story was told through the journals and the flashbacks of their friendship, I did not relate to either Kate or Elizabeth. I would have liked their characters fleshed out a little more as well as their friendship to understand what was so special about Kate for Elizabeth to entrust her with the journals. The story was well written enough for me to see it through the end. I could not help but think about the whole process of journaling and leaving it behind at death. I felt the burden Elizabeth left for Kate as well as the hurt she inflicted by leaving a written record. Oddly enough, that is what I will most probably remember from this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Unfinished Work of Elizabeth D..