Alex at Raiding Bookshelves's Reviews > Mad About the Earl

ISBN: 0312534132
Age Group: Adult
Genre: Romance/Regency
Lootability: ***

The Ministry of Marriage is an organisation started by the Duke of Montford, caretaker of 6 of his young family members,that organises the marriages, and at times prevents them, of the English aristocracy.

What I Liked: The women in the Ministry of Marriage books are dynamic and enterprising, they have strong (and passionate) opinions, and are intensely sensual women. Jane has a maturity that Rosamund and Cecily lack, Rosamund has an astounding capacity for love and Cecily has an undeniable and quirky personality. Their personalities were defined in Heiress in Love, though each woman was fully characterised in their own story.
The men of the Ministry of Marriage books are less appealing, Constantin (Heiress) and Rand (Duchess) are rakish rogues, arrogant, passionate and determined to have their own way. It was Griffin (Earl) that was best defined as a romantic interest, although his Beauty and the Beast sufferings were hardly unique.
Of course, they were devilishly....handsome and they have propensity to ravish their chosen women until they have succumbed to their male charms.
The story focused more on the relationships between man and woman than the events taking place around them.

What I Didn't Like: I do enjoy a story with a strong focus on relationships but I generally desire something with a little more exciting. I wouldn't want something as daringly adventurous as Elizabeth Hoyt's books, but I would like more friction between characters, and more problems to keep them apart - particularly in Duchess. The ending was somewhat disappointing, with a resolution that comes far too easily, and quite confusingly. Everything happens quite suddenly, without much fuss and is very easily resolved.
Earl has an unsolved murder, which could eventually, become an impediment to the romance of Griffin and Rosamund, but is more of a side story than a true part of the novel.

I enjoyed the Ministry of Marriage novels but I would like a little more out of these books. The story needs a little more adventure, but the romance is devilishly endearing.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mad About the Earl.