Karen Mead's Reviews > A Perfect Blood

10620231
Jul 01, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: urban-fantasy

The Hollows can be an immensely frustrating series. I love the world and some of the characters, but the series seems to suffer from a certain lack of logic and continuity that baffles me. Going into the plot holes that plague the series would involve spoilers, so rather than doing that I'll just say I've grown to increasingly dislike Rachel as a heroine.

Granted, this is perhaps the book where Rachel really starts to learn and change, so maybe I'm coming down too hard on her, but I feel like she's learning things she really should have learned five or six books ago; if anything, Trent, once the primary antagonist, now feels like the main character, especially towards the end of A Perfect Blood.

All complaining aside, I have to give books in this series at least three stars because whenever I get a new one, I pretty much barricade myself on the couch and devour it in one sitting. I figure if I'm that hooked, author Kim Harrison must be doing something very right. However, the combination of plot holes (sometimes more like logic holes) and the main character's denseness makes me continue to wonder why I find this series addictive. I may never know, but hopefully the next book in the series will just be plain good and I won't feel so torn anymore.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Perfect Blood.