Christine's Reviews > Every Day

3219357
Sep 24, 12

bookshelves: galley, ya
Read in July, 2012

Who would you be if you woke up someone different every day? Can you even imagine something like that? Never knowing where you’ll end up or who you’ll be? Our identities are something we live with and use to help us navigate through life, but what if the only way to identify yourself were your own thoughts and nothing else?

here were so many things I liked about this book. I liked A’s voice. It completely made sense that you couldn’t be attached to anything because there was no way to hold on to anything. And seeing how A tried to remain in contact with Rhiannon after meeting her was really interesting and, at times, heartbreaking.

Honestly, I first picked this book to read because it reminded me of Mercy by Rebecca Lim, a series that starts out similarly to this, except Mercy doesn’t jump bodies every day. It’s an interesting concept that I thought David Levithan did very well. The idea that gender and sexual orientation and race all play into our every day lives, but it doesn’t at all for A was something you could see Rhiannon really grappling with. It’s a difficult idea to accept, that the person you like or even love might be completely different the next day on the outside. Could you stay with someone who did that? Or would it eventually drive you insane?

The ending broke my heart. There was frustration and tears and disbelief that David would leave me HANGING on the edge of that cliff with no hope for an answer or satisfactory conclusion. WHY, David?!

This is the first book of David Levithan’s I’ve read, so now I have to read all of them because I liked this one so much. One day, once I’ve gotten over the heartbreak a little, I might re-read this and fall for A all over again.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Every Day.