Kate's Reviews > Curse of a Winter Moon

Curse of a Winter Moon by Mary Casanova

Jan 15, 09

bookshelves: 2009, age-middlegrade, historical-fiction
Read in January, 2009

I came across this book on a themed booklist somewhere, possibly either a historical fiction list or a werewolf list. I had thought it sounded interesting due to the werewolf angle, but now that I've read it, I think I must have found it on a historical fiction list. There are no actual werewolves in this short book. The story is set in a somewhat obscure period of history: France during the beginnings of Protestantism. Superstitions about werewolves are all over this book, but no actual werewolves... so I was somewhat disappointed. Luckily, the book was much shorter than I'd thought. But it's probably not a good sign when I find the historical notes at the end more interesting than the actual story. I was rather surprised that the author did not use Sabine Baring-Gould's The Book of Werewolves as a reference, since as far as I know it's one of the earliest books on werewolves and details several executions of werewolves, but it was written during the 1800s and so maybe wasn't relevant to this time period.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Curse of a Winter Moon.