Dr M's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

M_50x66
Jul 26, 07

bookshelves: fantasy, children-s-litterature
Read in July, 2007

This book is a good end to the Harry Potter story, but it is also no more than that. It is not nearly the best book in the series, but it fills its place. There are a few slow and boring passages, there are some unfoldings and explanations that are just a bit too far fetched. Also, it is a bit predictable, but that was only to be expected after Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince. This is not a book I would be terribly enthusiastic about, beyond a few hours entertainment, but since this is the seventh and final book of the series, you will probably read it no matter what if you have read the first six books, and if you have not, you would not really want to start with book seven anyway. Therefore, it does not matter if this particular book is brilliant or not, though one might have hoped for something with a bit more work put into honing off the rough edges.

As with all the other Harry Potter books, this is not great litterature. It has no philosophical depth, it is not particularly well written (though it certainly is not badly written either), and it does not explore any really interesting ideas or present any exceptional plot. It does, however, provide a few hours of good entertainment, and that is certainly not to be despised.
1 like · likeflag

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bookworm (last edited May 08, 2012 05:51PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bookworm Overall, how would you rate the whole series out of ten? Also, if you had to rank the books from best to worst, how would you do it?

And I slightly disagree that the HP has "no philosophical depth" - it does provide food for thoughts and intellectual simulation, just not on the same level as a "Crime and Punishment" or "War and Peace". Given the targeted audience and age-group of her readers, I think the fairly simplistic thought-engaging aspects are fine. You can find issues relevant to our real world - like slavery, class distinction and discrimination, law and injustice, appearance vs. reality, adolescence, and the most prominent theme of all, death - integrated within its action-packed plot.

There are motifs, symbolism and other thematic elements to be found within the layers of the text. The upper layer may seem superficial with some nonsensical plot elements, but it's not exactly a "potboiler devoid of substances" either. Most lines by Dumbledore, some by Hermione, Luna, Lupin etc can be very insightful, even if a little cliched.

I do however agree that her plotting can be haphazard at times, and that the books didn't really give rise to any idea that hasn't been thought-out before. I also agree that the writing quality of the books are not exactly great, but like you say, it's not badly written either; her imagery, liveliness of her prose, and the quality of her dialogues were, for the most part, very good, overcoming her somewhat simple and sometimes clunky prose. And I think her problem with plotting is overshadowed by her brilliance in creating characters (which I think is her greatest strength as a writer, and why she achieved this heights in the literary market). The touch of humor and wit also makes her writing much more accessible and entertaining to the average readers.

Thanks for the review. I am surprised your reviews of the HP series earned no attention, and it's quite an accident that I came upon them.