Paul's Reviews > Perfection

Jul 09, 12

it was ok
bookshelves: mystery
Read in July, 2012

Actual rating: 2.5 stars.

Enthusiastic friends are always plugging mystery novels, but when I read them my enthusiasm rarely matches theirs. Such is the case with Walter Satterthwait's Perfection, a (to me) box-stock serial killer police procedural with two semi-interesting cops, the standard cast of ancillary characters, and of course the serial killer himself, hiding in plain sight through a contrivance so far-fetched I nearly threw the book across the room when I came to the reveal ... and I would have, too, if there had been 50 or 60 pages still to go, but Satterthwait didn't chuck that grenade until the third to last page. This is the stuff of made-for-TV movies, shallow and sensationalistic.

I know there are better mystery writers. Far better. Henning Mankell, for one. Ed McBain for another. Elmore Leonard. Mo Hayder. I'll continue to listen to my friends, of course ... after all, friends turned me on to Henning Mankell, Ed McBain, Elmore Leonard, and Mo Hayder in the first place. But I'll also order a few based on my own research. I'm starting with 1222 by Anne Holt. I'll let you know how it goes.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Perfection.