Rachel's Reviews > The Queen's Pleasure

The Queen's Pleasure by Brandy Purdy

Jul 01, 12

Read in June, 2012

* I received this book as part of a Goodreads "First Reads" giveaway. *

Well, first of all, I didn't realize the type of genre this book was. Had I known, I wouldn't have entered to win. I love historical fiction, however, this book was more like fiction loosely based on some fact with a big helping of lots of writing about the sex lives of the characters in question. I quit reading about a third of the way through the book after feeling rather disappointed.

I did appreciate that Purdy began the book by writing from Amy Dudley's point of view (the wife of Robert Dudley who in Queen Elizabeth's court and is thought to have been her lover). However, the passages of Amy Dudley focused on a lot of flashbacks intertwined with Amy's agony. After a couple chapters, I found myself glossing over the passages because they were so similar to what I had already read.

A lot of the book focused on some heavy sex-writing. Now, I don't read Harlequin-type books so I was uncomfortable with this type of writing. Perhaps for that type of genre,the writing was good, I don't know but I do know it so didn't work for me.

I really love books on the Tutor period, however, a book based on romance/fiction writing with a dose of history is NOT historical fiction and I found this book to be a great disappointment.
8 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Queen's Pleasure.

message 1: by Lesley (new) - added it

Lesley I too love historical fiction. I am half way through this book and in am finding it repetitive and severely lacking in all aspects, neither the storyline or any of the characters have any strength. I wanted to feel compassion for Amy and have great understanding of Elizabeth. I wanted to feel torn between the two. Of Robert I wanted to be sold on their need for him, but his character is so weakly formed I cannot see the attraction for either woman. The greatest creations in this book are Mr Edney's dresses!