Olivia's Reviews > Sula

Sula by Toni Morrison

Jul 01, 12

bookshelves: women
Read in July, 2012

I thought this book was interested because Toni Morrison is always so evocative and expressive in showing diverse perspectives. However, I found it hard to really get into this book because there was so much violence in it that seemed inhuman. I found it intriguing in its portrayal of the violence and desolation of the lives of African Americans in this Ohio town, and the way that seeped into their attitudes and actions towards each other.

It was also good in its refrain of the values of the people and the community there - the way they did not themselves carry out violence, but just dealt with things as they happened. However, and this is a big however, there was a lot that I thought didn't get adequately explained (various deaths at the hands of various characters in the book), and the sort of subcurrent of evil

I guess I wondered whether every family in this town had this subcurrent, or whether these people were particularly "cursed" (while not really believing in that concept). But the writing was good. The book had a bit of a fairy tale quality, which I like in some of Toni Morrison's writing but I wasn't sure about in this particular book.

------ FAVOURITE QUOTES ------

"Nel's indifference to his hints about marriage disappeared altogether when she discovered his pain. Jude could see himself taking shape in her eyes. She actually wanted to help, to soothe, and was it true what Ajax said in the Time and a Half Pool Hall? That 'all they want, man, is they own misery. Ax em to die for you and they yours for life.'" (83)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sula.