Susan Johnson's Reviews > The Pigeon Pie Mystery

The Pigeon Pie Mystery by Julia Stuart

Jul 01, 12

Read in June, 2012

Indian Princess, Alexandria, living in England and known as Mink, fells on hard times when her father, the conquered Maharaja of Brindor, dies in an embarrassing situation. She has no money and her mother, an English lady, died when she was six so she has no family. The servants are let go except for her faithful maid, Pooki. Queen Victotia had a soft spot for her father and offers her a grace-and-favor place at Hampton Palace. There Mink meets an assortment of characters including the overbearing Major-General Bagshot who dies after eating a pigeon pie made by Pooki.
I wasn't quite sure what to make of this book. I was expecting a lighthearted book like Rhys Bowen's Lady Georgiana. It wasn't but I think it tried to be. The Maharaja had a collection of exotic animals but that story line went nowhere. There was an assortment of characters at Hampton Palace but none were particularly interesting and after learning their back stories at the end of the book, they were just sweet but sad. I didn't laugh once. As a mystery story, it falls flat. This 325 page book doesn't have a murder until after page 100 and Mink doesn't decide to investigate until page 170. The "mystery" seems to be an afterthought.
This book just doesn't seem to get off the ground.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pigeon Pie Mystery.