Sandy's Reviews > When the Sea Is Rising Red

When the Sea Is Rising Red by Cat Hellisen

Jul 01, 12

bookshelves: library, ya
Read in June, 2012

I almost gave up on this book as I thought there was way too much wording and details in the story for me. It just seemed that in the story, it could have been said with way fewer words and would have had more affect. Every last detail was written out and every thought was written out and I was just had too many words to read, ahhhh! The story itself was good and I thought if I could read it without all the details, I could probably enjoy it so I tried my best to forget every “faded purple” and every “shrug” and “breathe” and I made it through the book. I enjoyed the story and thought the idea behind the story was terrific and the idea of the bats, the scriv and everything in-between was a great mix. Felicita was a strong character and to do what she did, was a strong undertaking but she thought she had no other choice. Then when she really sees the world for what it is, she has other choices but she still remains the strong character. The books started out strong and the middle slowed down but the ending picked up the pace.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When the Sea Is Rising Red.