Arun Divakar's Reviews > The Atlantis Complex

The Atlantis Complex by Eoin Colfer

Jul 07, 12

Read from July 01 to 07, 2012

There was an undeniable freshness to Artemis Fowl and this freshness was what endeared this series to me. The same could be said of Rick Riordan's mashup of YA & Greek Myth but for some inexplicable reason, my interest in the Percy Jackson series was not sustained. Even then, Artemis Fowl remained a series that I was totally engrossed in. It is not usual to come across a criminal mastermind who is but a young boy dressed as if going to a funeral ! I have noticed those traces of freshness disappearing in the 6th book of the series and here it becomes a cliche ridden and extremely predictable story line.

When asked about whether his Batman series would continue beyond a third film, Christopher Nolan had replied that there is only so much that you can stretch a character and its environs ( those were not the exact words but you get the picture don't you ? ). This applies for some series books for from being extremely entertaining to dreary dullness is the matter of just a few pages. Colfer is humorous and entertaining here but somehow this tale has an artificiality to it. Even in the thick of things, my mind kept telling me This is pointless, go on and look at the book carefully. Did they put some other book between the covers ? Alas, it was Artemis Fowl being made a cliche ! This one is way out of tune for such a brilliant series.

That said, I am pretty positive that I will read the last installment as well. Two bad apples in a cart of five juicy ones is acceptable ain't it ?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Atlantis Complex.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Patrice Gallardo I totally agree with you.

James YOU LIE. SHUT UP. PERIOD.

Aleksander someone give this man a medal

Cynthia Defalco I agree and disagree because the growth in kindness is both predictable and unpredictable since we are so used to his deceitful character it's interesting to see him so conflicted with his new found kindness. Eoin managed to keep Artemis' clever plans as unique and unpredictable as he could while staying try true to Artemis. The most selfish character as well as the most selfless.