Matt's Reviews > Eating the Dinosaur

Eating the Dinosaur by Chuck Klosterman

Jul 01, 12

bookshelves: nonfiction
Read in June, 2012

"As a species, we have never been less human than we are right now.
And that (evidently) is what I want.
I must want it. It must be my desire, because I would do nothing to change the world's relationship to technology even if I could. My existence is constructed, and it's constructed through the surrogate activity of mainstream popular culture. I understand this. And because I understand this, I could change. I could move to Montana and find [Kaczynski's] cabin and live there, satisfied in my philosophical rightness. I could go the Christopher McCandless route and shoot a moose for food and self-actualization. But I choose the opposite. Instead of confronting reality and embracing the Experience of Being Alive, I will sit and read about Animal Collective over the Internet. Again. I will read about Animal Collective again. And not because the content is important or amusing or well-written, but because the content exists. Reading about Animal Collective has replaced being alive. I aspire to think of myself as an analog person, but I am not. I have been converted to digital without the remastering, and the fidelity is appalling."

Klosterman's not David Foster Wallace, and this collection (in which he does such things as compare Kurt Cobain to David Koresh, ably) is not Consider the Lobster and Other Essays. The analysis is not as deep, nor the tangents quite as oddly fun. Two other distinctions: 1) Klosterman terms these essays "thought experiments," and says in the afterword that "authenticity (at least as it is applied to art) [does] not matter and [is] not important," which is not something I can imagine DFW ever saying about one of his essays. 2) I'd rather eat dinosaur (Stegosaurus, maybe?) than lobster.

[4.5 stars for making me think, even as it entertained. I'd love to drink with Klosterman, is what I'm saying.]
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eating the Dinosaur.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kerri Anne Stebbins I wonder if a triceratops ever awkwardly laughed at not having exact change. #prehistoriclaughtracks