Cassandra.'s Reviews > The Map of Lost Memories

Sep 06, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: first-reads, mine, historical-fiction, 2012, read-in-2012
Read from July 14 to 23, 2012

This book should have been a 4/5 star book. It started off slowly, but grabbed my interest after about 30 pages. Interesting characters, but I didn't really like any of them. That being said, they were well- developed and interesting enough to keep me reading. I have to confess, that I often read the end of a book, if the story has really involved me with the characters. I still go back and read the rest of the book, but I am disappointed if everything is tied up and all the questions answered in the last 20 or so pages. Even more disappointing, is being left with questions. I found myself wondering if at least two more chapters got lost somewhere. Will be interested to know if this book is the first in a series. I knew nothing about Cambodia and the Khmer history, other than the names, as I was a college student during the Vietnam War. Would like to learn more.
Thank you, First Reads.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Map of Lost Memories.

07/18/2012 page 153
46.0% "Sure wish a map or two appeared somewhere in this book. I hate having to drag out an atlas to get perspective. Started out slowly, but now I am hooked."