Luann's Reviews > The Alchemyst

The Alchemyst by Michael Scott

Dec 19, 08

bookshelves: 2008, fantasy, young-adult, ms-rec
Read in December, 2008

I enjoyed The Alchemyst more than I thought I would. It didn't sweep me away with the "must finish this book now" feeling, but I also was never bored. Fans of Harry Potter, Fablehaven, Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson books, and even The Da Vinci Code will find interesting connections and similarities here. And yet Scott manages to bring something just a bit new to the table as well. I was interested to learn that many of the main characters (Nicholas Flamel, Perenelle Flamel, and Dr. John Dee) were actually real people and much of what is told as their back story is actually known about them. Other characters in the book come from mythology and folklore. Only the twins, Josh and Sophie Newman, are the author's own creation.

I was also interested in the use of modern gadgets, especially in the beginning. Mostly the modern gadgets such as an iPod, texting on a cell phone, and googling for information via a laptop are used to give background information to the reader while showing that these kids are modern teens - although at one point even one of the "Elders" uses a cell phone. As the story progresses, though, the gadgets are left behind.

I wouldn't rank this as one of my all-time favorite fantasy stories - even if I'm just limiting to books I've read this year. But I did enjoy it and will certainly read the sequels as I get a chance. If we had half stars, I would give this 3.5.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Alchemyst.

12/16/2008 page 1
0.27% "My "A" book for the Pick-a-Shelf Christmas Day challenge."
12/18/2008 page 124
33.07% "Enjoying it so far. It's better than I expected."
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marie (new)

Marie my daughter hanna read this book

Luann How did she like it? The second book, The Magician, is out - we have it in our library. And looks like the third, The Sorceress, will be out in May 2009.

message 3: by Mary Grace (new)

Mary Grace Nakao Im going to try reading this book :D

message 4: by Shakera (new) - added it

Shakera Thank you do much for your review... (Not to sound ignorant) I just thought he was just another character from Harry Potter... I have read Harry Potter and Percy Jackson and your review has me very interested in reading this book. Thank you!

Danielle THIS BOOK WAS AMAZING THE ENTIRE SERIES IS BEAUTIFUL!

Luann Thanks for your comments, Mary Grace, Shakera, and Danielle! Sorry for the delay in responding - I didn't realize there were new comments on this review.

Shakera, have you read it yet? If so, what did you think?

message 7: by Shakera (new) - added it

Shakera I haven't read it yet. I'm actually having a hard time finding the book. I'm going to try again this weekend. Maybe I can find it in the library...?

Daniela Ramos I totally agree with you! Have you finished the series? I loved the end. I also hate how people say Nicholas Flamel is a character from Harry Potter. He was a real person! And also, John Dee, according to the book, is an Alchemyst too.