Katherine Clark's Reviews > Death in the Stocks

Death in the Stocks by Georgette Heyer

F_50x66
Jul 02, 12

Read from July 01 to 02, 2012

Definitely the best of the bunch so far. I am now 1/3 through Heyer's oevre. OK, some interesting observations. This is the first in her Superintendent Hannasyde mysteries, yet he didn't solve the crime, an amateur did. I wonder if she was uncertain about whether to make this a series or not? Also, while we had a romance that ends in marriage at the end, as in all the other books, at least this time the two people knew each other. Finally, there were some really good chapters here. I mean in particular, chs. 13 and 14 which were relatively absurd. They reminded me of Michael Innes, but more amusing. That might be something worth looking at. The fact that she was able to maintain the absurdity for complete chapters is quite impressive. The mystery itself was blech, but the absurdity is worth looking at.

Final thought: these books are also interesting for what they show us about the time period. In particular, each book talks about electrical plants, and how these were set up for individual restaurants and hotels. And businesses would hire someone to run the plant. Electricity, even in the 30s in England was still relatively new, as was using a phone. These little tidbits are quite fun.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Death in the Stocks.