Mark Desrosiers's Reviews > I Love Led Zeppelin

I Love Led Zeppelin by Ellen Forney

Oct 21, 2008

bookshelves: comics
Read in October, 2008

First section offers pragmatic instructions that say more than what they're really saying ("How to Twirl Your Tassels in Opposite Directions", "How to Fold the Flag and Present it to the Next of Kin", "How to Roller Skate Backwards").

Second section is a handful of bent, heartfelt excursions into blacksmithery, alligator-gazing, and yoga.

The section entitled '92-'94 makes you wonder what else you were missing. Includes her date with Camille Paglia and the wonderful metaphor (simile?) (interpretive dance?) called "Trapeze".

And towards the end you get two revealing collaborations with Dan Savage, plus an odd excursion into Tom Waits backstage at Toad's Place.

If you've never encountered Ellen Forney before, this is a great distillation of her genius (yeah I said it): lusty, curious, pro-vice, anti-ideology. Strange, communal, and exuberant. Never depressed, never soggy .. but never cartwheeling or chipper either. Always kinky.

This volume is published in large format, more to enhance her details for your gaze.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Love Led Zeppelin.