MissM's Reviews > The Taken: Celestial Blues

The Taken by Vicki Pettersson

Jul 07, 12

bookshelves: nook, read-2012
Read from July 01 to 07, 2012

Eh. I debated long and hard between 2-stars and 3-stars. Personally, it was more 2-star for me but I think that's a bit of an unfair rating, especially looking back at other books I gave 2 stars to. It's not a bad book, but I just could NOT get into it. I mean it took me a week to read it because I just didn't want to. Ultimately, I'm giving it 3 stars because I just think it's my personal bias rather than a case of a horrible book.

I didn't like the rockabilly theme or the conveniently 1950's PI; I didn't feel like I had the slightest clue who Kit was and she didn't feel like a real person to me at all. Grif was ok but still kinda one-dimensional and I just was bored. I just didn't care. And I felt like the theme was all forced and kinda stupid honestly.

It got dark and twisted in the bad guy towards the end which didn't help the interest for me, just kinda made me feel even more uncomfortable.

I don't know. I just didn't like it. I greatly enjoyed the creativity and imagination of Pettersson's Signs of the Zodiac series, but this just felt so much more shallow and fake to me. Maybe rockabilly just isn't my scene. I was annoyed much of the book.

And now writing this, I want to put it down to 2 stars because I'm reminded how much the book just irritated me. But, I think if you like the gumshoe/throwback/rockabilly sensibility, you'd probably like it more. For me, I was just bored.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Taken.