Shane's Reviews > The Liar, the Bitch and the Wardrobe

The Liar, the Bitch and the Wardrobe by Allie Kingsley

Jul 01, 2012

Read from September 05 to 10, 2012

Allie Kingsley's debut is tremendously hilarious, fashionable, and overall inspirational. A chick-lit like no other giving a realistic view of the lifestyle of the rich and aspiring to be famous. What more could a girl ask for?

The fact that the author has experienced fashion and entertainment, and continues to live in both worlds, is just perfect for this novel. Throughout it all I kept wondering if such characters were inspired by an actual person, if so, who. It was just an interesting story all in all. Very fast paced,.I was not disappointed.

This novel was not all about making it big, but it strongly depicted, amidst the fun and adventure, how hard-work and determination is key. There's also the aspect of understanding that sometimes things and people aren't always what they seem, and it's important not to lose yourself while doing whatever it takes to achieve your goals. Lucy learns that lesson well when her eyes are open to the bigger picture.

"I knew I was compromising everything that I was all about, but if this is what it took to be part of the scene, I was going to do it. And really, it didn't seem that bad."

That part alone says a lot about the situation the main character finds herself in. Lucy moved to LA with the mindset of starting her career. Her overall outlook on life before she took flight was quite applaudable. However, Lucy's values are tested. Her relationship with the people who truly have her best interest at heart is affected by Lucy's new found accomplishments, and in the end it leaves us all thinking how amazing it is that fancy things can place conflict in our hearts and make us question everything we were taught.

Lucy comes in contact with some sapid characters. Few good, few with dubios motives. Allie unveils them all so well. In fact, her clear descriptions are so good that you're given the impression she actually knows what she's writing about (then again, she has an industry insider). And speaking of writing, the fast paced and witty style kept me even more motivated to continue to the end, and I did get there in no time. It was certainly a light but intriguing read.

There's a lot you could gain from this story, humor and glamour aside, there are other things projecting in the chapters. I do hope you won't pass this off as a cheesy chick lit because it's not. I promise you'll find it informative if not entertaining.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Liar, the Bitch and the Wardrobe.

09/05/2012 page 77