Mark Bennett's Reviews > How Should a Person Be?

How Should a Person Be? by Sheila Heti

Jul 15, 12

bookshelves: literarature-art, love-of-language-search-for-self
Recommended to Mark by: Michelle Dean
Read on July 14, 2012 — I own a copy

Have been following the writer Michelle Dean on Tumblr and her review, Listening to Women on just fired me up. So love her, she continually points the way to thought-provoking and engaging literature.

Sheila Heti? O. M. G. Just ripper, an honest meaning-maker, questioning, fearless and naked. It's her nakedness, her ability to come clean that's so danged irresistible. Thoughtful, reflective and a truth-telller.

I will have to read it again. Take some time with it. I blew through in one day, couldn't put it down. Was with Ms. Heti from the moment I woke up yesterday until I went to bed.

There are so many pithy gems of insight on living a life, gems buried in the day to day, so real, you're going along, going along, and something clicks, an aha moment. Heti does this, captures how it happens. Such insight changes us, we have our ahas, and keep on trucking.

I will certainly be exploring her other work, especially this, The Chairs Are Where the People Go, that she co-wrote with Misha Glouberman.

Highly, highly recommended!
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How Should a Person Be?.