Mitchii's Reviews > These Broken Stars

These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman

Jul 01, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: arc-or-galley-review-copies, 2013-reads, dystopian-post-apocalyptic, fantasy, romance, science-fiction, young-adult
Read from November 13 to 28, 2013

Once again I’m in this very awkward position. I expected to love this book. I want to join the happy crowd. It looked super nice to be there. I think I’d prepared myself to be part of it, only to get my expectations hammered down. Now, this is not to say that I don’t like it. I liked it enough. Liked it enough that I enjoyed bits that I think were enjoyable to me. Liked it enough that I forced myself to make a feast on the love story even though it didn’t compel me to root for them. But granted that I hoped for the best being ‘liked it enough’ still will not suffice.

Star-crossed lovers story, dubbed by many as “Titanic in Space,” I’m not sure where did that play in here but all I saw was survival of two people with different background and how they cope with the dire situation ahead of them. And in between all of it they managed to fall in love. Lilac LaRoux is an heiress, daughter of the wealthiest man in the galaxy. Tarver Merendsen is a soldier with a prestige of his own. They are worlds apart, but an accident occurred on their vessel leaving them all to their selves in an unknown place. And they only have each other to rely in order to survive.

Originality and ingenuity are what made this book stands out from the pack. And I know when to applaud when I see potential. I think it nailed those aspects greatly and incorporated nicely to the plot. I guess the problem was it wasn’t entirely working for me. And since it didn’t successfully mesh, well with me that made it a little lackluster.

The cover did represent the story quite on mark, although one is to hope that is more on romance than survival. What happened really is that more of the latter and a bit boring of the former. At first, I really like their polar opposite attitude and indifference towards each other. It made their dynamic rather interesting to me. Of course, I’d predicted that since they were secluded in unfamiliar place with only just each other, development—romantically speaking, is inevitable. But once they were in that stage, it kinda lost the spark it had at the beginning. There were also things that I found funny as it is impossible but those were just my minor complaints. I guess it all goes back to me since I’m banking more on the romance rather than…other things? And it looked like it was more of those instead.

Regardless, there’s no denying that These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman & Meagan Spooner is a beautifully written story. I just didn’t end up becoming one of its fans for the reason I stated above. It just, things like this happened, as awkward as it is. So I’ll leave it to you good peeps while I’ll go, curl up in the corner mending my broken heart while simultaneously fixing my crushed expectations (that were beyond repair).

See original post here @ Aeropapers

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read These Broken Stars.

11/13/2013 marked as: currently-reading
11/20/2013 page 76
19.0% "Two equally stubborn individuals and none of ‘em likes to cower. Good, I want the bantering to stay, it’s so interesting. xD"
11/27/2013 marked as: read