Chelsey's Reviews > Crazy

Crazy by Amy Reed

6209040
Jul 01, 12

Read in July, 2012

Crazy encompasses the lives of Isabel and Connor and the entire story is made up of their emails between one another. At first I was surprised when I realized this, then I began to really enjoy the emails because I realized that they were being real with each other and it is sometimes easier to talk to someone and share the ugly truth with them when you are hidden behind a computer screen. Izzy and Conner had previously worked together at what seemed like a summer camp and had shared a bond there, and now they are separated by distance and are forced to keep contact with each other by messages for the time being.

After reading the title, “Crazy,” and being introduced to both of the main characters I immediately questioned which one, if not both, would fit the description. I soon learned that Izzy had many self esteem issues as well as other more serious mental concerns. It was touching to read how they chose to interact with each other; often times they were very open and honest and I found myself delighted in how realistic their conversations were. They were both comfortable enough to share their deepest darkest secrets knowing that the other would not be judgmental, but rather accepting.

Izzy had a lot of issues some revolving around depression and low self-esteem that were causing her life to plummet in the wrong direction. Here is where I began to LOVE Connor! He coaxed her back down to reality on many occasions and was, literally, always available for her. She was a flight risk and he just waited so patiently for her to come around and let her decide when she was ready to talk about things. Every other day Izzy is on another rampage about something or someone and she always asks Connor for help but then backs out as soon as he offers to provide her with any. This is where I had the most problem with Izzy. She ignored the one that adored her and adored the one that ignored her. She ran to the arms of the wrong guy when Connor was right in front of her, but that is what most of us girls do anyways!

I really did enjoy their friendship and the conversations that they had; they just seemed so real and they were really themselves and down to earth teenagers through the various emails. Amy Reed has comprised a book that is far different from others. She shares issues, problems, and language that are relevant to most adolescents and she shares common dilemmas that could happen to anyone. This book is unique and goes far beyond your average young adult literature!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crazy.