Heidi's Reviews > The Other Half of My Heart

Jul 01, 12

bookshelves: juv-fiction, realistic-fiction
Recommended for: Grades 4th-6th
Read in June, 2012, read count: 1

11 year-old biracial twins Minerva “Minni” and Keira King look like a chessboard: Keira is black like their Mama and Minni is white like their Daddy. Despite their physical and personality differences, these two sisters share a bond of the heart that goes deep. However, their close relationship is tested when they visit their Grandmother Johnson in North Carolina who has enrolled them to compete in the Miss Black Pearl of America Program. Shy, red-haired and pale-skinned Minni begins to understand what life in their small town in Washington State has been like for her more outgoing, darker-skinned sister Keira. By the end, both sisters mature and learn how to deal with racial boundaries. Most importantly, they learn that no matter how the world may view them, they’re sisters that will always be there for each other. Two halves of the same heart.

This novel was a thought provoking read without sounding didactic. A heart-felt story with humorous moments that has believable characters who deal with prejudice in a positive way.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Other Half of My Heart.